The Importance of Dental Insurance
If you’re wondering whether or not you need dental insurance, the first thing you should know is that medical insurance doesn’t cover most dental services. You can develop oral or dental issues at any time, either from not taking care of your teeth or as a result of an illness or accident.
Dental insurance provides you with coverage that can save you money and help ensure a healthy mouth. You’ll pay rates that dentists have agreed to accept for providing services to HMSA members. So whether you have coverage through your job or you purchase a plan on your own, dental insurance should be part of your financial planning.
A plan for healthy teeth
Here are some reasons why dental insurance is a good idea:
- Preventive benefits ensure that problems are found early. Regular dental exams and cleanings are critical to identify issues before they require major, costly procedures. If tooth decay goes unnoticed and untreated, you could be spending a lot of money for a root canal down the road. Most dental plans cover preventive visits at little or no additional cost.
- You’re protected from financial risk. Even with proper preventive care, sometimes major dental health issues arise. You have insurance against risk for your health, your car, and your home—don’t forget about your mouth.
- The best rates possible are available to plan members. Dentists who belong to HMSA’s network have a contract with us to provide you with services at a set fee. That means your out-of-pocket cost is less than if you were to walk in for treatment.
- Dental health can affect your overall health. Researchers continue to identify links between oral and overall health. Problems of the mouth can lead to harmful levels of bacteria that worsen medical conditions such as diabetes and heart disease if it enters the bloodstream.
Where can I buy dental insurance?
Many insurance companies offer dental coverage either through employers or on an individual basis. Some insurance companies offer only dental plans while others also offer health insurance. Given the connection between dental health and overall health, choosing a company that offers both is your best option.
The benefits of dental coverage through HMSA
HMSA’s Oral Health for Total Health program provides additional dental benefits to members with certain medical conditions that can be improved with better dental health.
We offer a choice of affordable plans:
- Participating dentists in our PPO dental network have a contract with us to provide you with services at a set fee. You have the freedom to see a nonparticipating dentist, but you may have to pay more than if you saw a participating dentist.
- With our HMO dental plan, you can see any dentist in the Hawaii Family Dental network, the largest group dental practice in Hawaii.
- Our Calendar Year Rollover lets you save unused benefit dollars for the following year.
- When you need help, our HMSA Centers are staffed with knowledgeable health plan advisers who are happy to answer your questions.
Shop for an HMSA dental plan.